Sunday, January 9, 2011

Family, Feminist Design, and Finishing School

Whoa, it's Sunday. I'm updating! I must be procrastinating. No, I'm actually waiting for photos to upload to Facebook, which is the procrastination, I guess.

I got back from a whirlwind trip to California to see my family. My grandmother had took a turn for the worse in October and CT and I were finally able to get away this last week. Unfortunately, she passed away the day before we caught our flight. But it was good to visit with family and introduce their special kind of craziness to CT. I was reminded of my strong desire to move closer, even if it is just by a few states. This whole cross-country flying is not cool. The family that I am geographically closer to now I hardly see, so obviously moving West wouldn't put anyone out (and would get me out of the South!).

In the last 6 hours I have been working on a few things, including submitting my Feminist Design paper to yet another conference. It has now gone out to 3. I don't really care if it gets chosen (okay, I do, but I know that academic papers are not my forte) but it's nice to know that people are thinking about the problem of traditional design techniques, even if just for a second before they reject the paper.

Meanwhile, tomorrow is the first day of the last semester of my MFA. I am nervous and excited. I want this semester to go really well (the last one ended horribly). I don't want the doom and gloom of what happens next to hang over my head while I finish up two more designs, go to a conference (or two?), and take a very exciting academic class "Race, Gender, and Performance." I hope that as things rev up, it will be good. Spring semesters have always been better for me anyway (I think the conferences help to give me something to look forward to and take a break from the other stuff with).

Okay, back to the pictures from California. I am going to take more pictures this year and I started there. I'll leave you with one of my favorites:

No comments:

Post a Comment