Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tech-tacular Design


So, not that anyone regularly follows this blog, but I'm about to hit tech for The Seagull here at UNCG and so I'm a bit hard-pressed to squeeze anything but stress out of my pitiful brain. I really should be going to bed now, but I resolved to write once a week in this thing -- maybe while I'm sitting in the darkened theatre, the muse will strike me.

In the meantime, a few thoughts on the tech process in general:

It's stressful! Duh. But not just because the clock is finally ticking down, but because it is a veritable political battlefield of how best to communicate with your fellow theatre-makers while everyone's tempers are short. It is especially difficult, I've found, as a student designer trying to navigate the many mentors/faculty in the room above and beyond any faculty working on the production. (Fortunately, Seagull is all student-designed, but it is faculty-directed.) It's just hard to know when and how to stand your ground without sounding disrespectful. And then you add into the mix being a woman... well, yes, you can imagine. More on that (or something better) next weekend, once the show is open and I have more room in my poor head for things that are not about tracing wallpaper from a projection or recovering chairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment